As the colder days settle in, the allure of cocooning under a cozy blanket is real. I get it; it’s tempting to let the day drift by in hibernation mode. But let’s not make that our winter anthem!
Even though I live is sunny Southern California, I still get cold, even without snow and below freezing temperatures 😉 But I do look forward to visiting my grandkids next month in the snow!
Here are some ideas to keep you moving and grooving all season long, whether you’re inside or out.
- Keep up your gym routines, but try something new, too. Hot yoga in winter, anyone?
- Virtual reality headsets offer workout programs that get you good and sweaty in the actual reality of your living room.
- Video rocks, now with more in-home workouts than ever.
- Count your steps in the comfort of a mall or large retailer.
- Dance Party! Crank some fun music and dance – alone or with others.
- Use exercise equipment you have at home – like a stationary bike or a treadmill.
- Create a home circuit workout. Get jiggy with housecleaning moves, bodyweight exercises, and stair climbing. The more creative the better!
- If you live where it snows, shoveling the sidewalk and driveway is an AMAZING workout. And, you know, necessary.
- Plus, there’s sledding and cross-country skiing… wide-tire bike riding and downhill skiing… figure skating and hockey… Winter sports are awesome. Find a league or local association.
- Snowball fight! Get the kids and neighbors out there and go ballistic.
- · Don’t be afraid of cold-weather cardio, like jogging, running, hiking and walking. Is it really too cold out? No way!
- Remember to dress appropriately. Layer up and wear weather-appropriate gear. It’s the key to staying warm and enjoying every frosty adventure.
- And drink water. Yes, even when it’s cold out. Hydration is a game changer for winter activity.
Winter can be a wonderland of fun and a great time to discover new ways to stay active. Just be sure to get some sunshine to keep the winter blues at bay.
PS – There’s still time to grab my Renov8 Fitness Healthy Holiday Gift Guide, which is packed with handpicked, fitness-inspired presents perfect for everyone on your list.