The coronavirus is a big topic right now as I’m sure you already know. How could it not be? It’s all over the news, but the biggest thing I’m worried about is where I’m going to get paper towels now that most stores have been “wiped” out!
I’m not being dismissive – I understand that this virus, like others, can be serious – even deadly. But focusing on fear causes stress, which reduces immunity, which makes you more susceptible to illness.
So, no…Fear isn’t on the table.
Here’s what IS…
As a fitness expert, my #1 job right now is to build strong, healthy people who, if they were to get sick, would recover much easier than someone who didn’t workout with us at Renov8 Fitness. Luckily, what I’m pitching isn’t rhetoric or wishful thinking; it’s SCIENCE. Let’s take a quick look at one of the many recent scientific studies that link exercise to improved immune function:
In the May 2019 issue of “Journal of Sport & Health Science,” the article titled “The Compelling Link Between Physical Activity & the Body’s Defense System” had some important takeaways. Here are the highlights:
- Exercise is an immune system adjuvant that improves immune defense activity and metabolic health
- Data supports a clear conclusion: moderate exercise reduces risk of illness
- Exercise training reduces inflammation in a variety of ways
- Regular exercise improves immune regulation
- Habitual exercise delays the onset of age-related immune dysfunction
That’s just one article but it supports what we know anecdotally and via decades of international research by top universities and researchers.
Right now, the temptation might be to skip the gym. If you’re feeling under the weather – STAY HOME! The science is also clear that exercising while sick can increase the severity of symptoms.
BUT if you’re well, stay well. And continue to build your body to be strong and fit to survive whatever life brings us! Don’t miss that training session. Go for the run (and get a Vitamin D boost in the sun)!
Here are some healthy reminders for you:
- This is not the time to skimp on sleep. Good sleep hygiene keeps your immune system working optimally. Fun fact – regular exercise improves quantity and quality of sleep!
- Ditch the sugar. For real, friends – now is the time. A serving of sugary foods can deeply dip your immune function for 5 hours or more.
- Get in the sun! Vitamin D is a natural immune booster and the best way to get it is by helping your body produce it yourself. Even 15 minutes a day can make a remarkable difference in your – Vitamin D levels. It’s already warm enough to get your daily D with a cup of tea on the porch – just do it!
- Treat yourself to delicious seasonings that naturally are antiviral: garlic, ginger, cayenne, turmeric. Roast veggies with a little olive oil and a generous sprinkle of all of the above.
I’m going to leave you with this: It’s never too late to start.
If you’re reading this and saying to yourself “Well, dang – I really should have been exercising, it would have helped – but now I am out of luck!”
That’s NOT true! In a recent study, after only 3 DAYS worth of exercise, the subjects (mice in this case) were evaluated for improved immune function. THREE DAYS! And guess what?
After less than half a week of exercise under their belts, there was IMPROVED RESISTANCE TO THE FLU. NO…It’s not too late!
Need help getting started? I’ve got your back!
While everyone else is letting fear get the best of them I’ll be doing my thing – building strong, fit people with healthy immune systems! Cause that’s what I do 🙂 Sending healthy vibes your way,
PS – Comment below or call me at 818.925.5433 and let me know how I can help you! I can coach you no matter where you are located as I offer both live online and in-person sessions at Renov8 Fitness. This means you can workout with me from your home, office, outdoors at the park, or in-person at Renov8 in North Hollywood, CA 🙂