Last weekend my husband and I went hiking at Red Rock Canyon in Las Vegas. I also did an extra hike up Lone Mountain as well. It was beautiful, challenging, and I loved it!
The fall scenery is beyond breathtaking but let me tell you a little secret. Hiking during this season is not just about enjoying the beauty of changing leaves. It’s like a secret treasure chest of fitness waiting to be discovered!
So, imagine this: You, your friends or some well-deserved “me time,” and the great outdoors. Ready to see why fall hiking is an absolute blessing for your well-being? Let’s dive in:
- Extra Calories Burned. Hiking on uneven terrain engages more muscles than walking on a flat trail (or that treadmill). Stepping over rocks, roots and other obstacles is great for your balance and posture. And guess what? A moderately paced hike can smoke 300 to 500 calories per hour.
- Mental Health Boost. The peacefulness of the magnificent outdoors can’t be ignored. It’s a powerful mood booster and stress reliever.
- Cardio Endurance. I like hiking because I get my heart pumping almost as an afterthought. I’m not out there hiking so I’ll strengthen my heart and lungs. It just happens that way!
- Build Those Leg Muscles. Your quadriceps, hamstrings and calves do the most work, toning and strengthening with every step. Plus, your core gets a workout you can’t imagine.
- Build Your Upper Body. Add a pair of trekking poles or carry a backpack to add resistance work for your arms, shoulders and back (core included).
Are you ready to hit the trails yet? There’s no better time than right now – literally. Mother nature is doing everything she can to get you out there.
Let’s go! To see if fitness coaching, endurance coaching, nutrition & lifestyle coaching, performance coaching, or any combination of these is right for you, I invite you to apply HERE today so you can start working towards your goals before 2023 ends (we have less than 3 months to go)!